I have been conducting research at the crossroads of Human-Computer Interaction and Ubiquitous Computing for the past 10 years. During this time, I significantly contributed to two emerging areas of research: Usable Privacy and Security and Interaction in Public Space. My major research achievements are
- invention of new authentication concepts (CHI’16) as well as novel authentication mechanisms based on gaze (CHI’12), behavioral biometrics (CHI’16, CHI’18), and images (Ubicomp’14, MobileHCI’15); in-depth investigation of various threat models such as thermal attacks (CHI’17, Honorable Mention) and shoulder surfing (CHI’17); and the investigation of authentication in new application areas, e.g., VR (USEC’17).
- creating a comprehensive understanding of audience behavior in public space — in particular, conveying the interactivity of public displays (Looking Glass, CHI’12, 204 citations, Best Paper Award), building a behavioral interaction model (The Audience Funnel, ACM Multimedia’10, 257 citations), the most widely cited methodology paper for evaluating public displays (How to evaluate public displays?, ACM PerDis’12, 97 citations), and a text book on Pervasive Displays (Synthesis Lectures, 2013).
- I have published over 160 refereed archival publications listed in DBLP. Most of these were published in journals and proceedings of international conferences with equivalent standing (acceptance rate <25%).
- My publications are well cited by the community (>3500 citations) with six publications having been cited more than 100 times. I have an h-index of 29.
- I have the second most papers in ACM SIGCHI 2017 among 2100 authors (https://goo.gl/eXLMnH )
- In my career I received 3 Best Paper Awards and 5 Honorable Mention Awards.
Peer Esteem in the Community
- General Chair of the 17th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia (MUM’18).
- Chairing the PC of international conferences (Mensch und Computer 2020, Mensch und Computer 2019, MUM’16, ACM PerDis’15).
- Sobcommittee Chair for CHI 2020
- Associate Chair for CHI, DIS, NordiCHI; associate editor of the IMWUT journal; long-standing service on the PCs of ACM Multimedia, ACM PerDis, ACM MUM, Augmented Human, WWW; reviewer for >50 conferences (e.g., CHI, Ubicomp, MobileHCI, ITS) and journals (e.g., ACM ToCHI, Pervasive Computing).
- 3 Special Recognition Award for exceptional reviews at CHI 2014, CHI 2015, and CHI 2016.
- External examiner for PhD theses (Jorge Cardoso, Niels Wouters, Callum Parker) and master theses.
Research and Teaching Activity
- Self-responsible teaching of master and bachelor level courses on Human-Computer Interaction, Pervasive Computing, Information Visualization (all lectures) and practical courses on Media Design.
- Organizer of the UIST School 2018, two doctoral colloquia and lecturer at three winter schools.
Projects and Administration
- Acquisition of a ZD.B funded research group on behavioral biometrics (budget 1.2M €), among others
- Setup of a research group in usable security and privacy and an interaction lab (BehaVR Lab) at the Bundeswehr University, Munich.